Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Moltmann Event 1 - Emergent Theological Conversation

It is the end of a long day welcoming pilgrims from around the nation and a few from around the globe at our church. Danielle Shroyer was a delight for Moltmann 101 providing a heartfelt overview of his life and work. My body was sore from long weeks of service and prayer of late. Yet, my spirit grew as I overheard her conversation of faith while setting up rooms and fans for the guests as they arrived.

There were a few moves that caught my attention. In the first instance, I was taken by her description of his engagement of suffering. As such, he apparently suggests that rather than ask, "why is God doing this?" we ought always to ask, "where is God in this?" His life experience suggested this was a much more useful and profound answer as he lived through challenge. (More on suffering in a moment.)

This thought connected to the notion of discovering church. Danielle claimed his interest is less in boundary making for church. Rather more he is interested in the way that we discover church as it is lived in grace and faithfulness. She suggested he might offer, "I see church" here or there.

This discussion of church - ecclesiology - as discovered in the movement of the Holy Spirit in a people, matched a conversation I've been having with colleagues in the Faith and Order Commission. We have been interested by the inheritors of the "Stone Campbell movement" who apparently will often offer the expression "I saw church" when discussing God's work amongst the people.

As I listened to this I heard a bridge between Moltmann's treatment of suffering, "Where is God in this?" and his notion of discovering church, "I see church!" I have observed that the conversation based upon description and discovery of God's work amongst the people serves as a more useful bridge for ecumenical dialogue - pulling the church together.

A final word about suffering. It seems that every sector of society is suffering these days. I notice people growing testy at work, at home, and at church. In the midst of suffering, I see people withdraw and break apart. Yet this is not a gospel move.

Apparently Moltmann is embraced by many because his great work on HOPE does not diminish suffering. Yet suffering is placed in a much larger context of God's sovereignty and abundant gifts. Here is the spiritual move for us all, I believe - to cast our eyes toward the light about us. The gospel does not avoid the suffering, but it lives into something much more rich and grand in the goodness of life. ... I hope I can do that each day.

More tomorrow - I hope!

No comments: